Monday, August 19, 2013

Divine Dieting

Daniel 1:11-16

11 Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, 12 “Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13 Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see.” 14 So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days.
15 At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. 16 So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.

I was reading the Book of Daniel last night in the Torah, the Jewish bible, and I saw a very interesting piece of advice which came to me, perhaps God is trying to help me stick to eating healthier. In the story here, the Jewish wise man Daniel who is exiled in Babylon was told to eat the king's food, the Budweiser and Big Macs of his day. Daniel did not want to eat this food, so he abstained from it, probably because it was not Kosher. Then a guard questions Daniel as to why he is looking washed up, and Daniel tells him that he does not want the kings food. Next, Daniel tells the guard to give him vegetables and water instead of the fatty meat/wine that the others ate, so after a period of ten days Daniel looks even healthier then the people who had been engorging on the king's food all along. This is another example of how moderation, self control, and good choices benefit people. The vegetables/water were much better than the meat/wine then and are now. So, I'm going to cut back on my meat, soda, and alcohol to see what benefits come from it. The bible has always proven to be a book of wisdom which has helped me my entire life, and I doubt it will let me down now.
-Kole Elyon

No comments:

Post a Comment