Sunday, September 15, 2013

Yom Kippur and Forgetting the Past

The Jewish High Holy Day of Yom Kippur, The Day of Atonement, has just passed this weekend, and though unable to participate in the fullness of festivities with the rest of b'nai yisrael, the Jewish people, I did commemorate the day in my own unique way. To explain, I need to give some background information. In the old days when there still was a temple in Jerusalem there was a ritual that high priest, Cohen Gadol, would perform. In the ritual the priest would take two goats and offer them up to God. One goat would be tied with the twelve tribes of Israel inscribed on a parchment to represent the evil that all of Israel had committed for the year, and then the goat was set loose into the desert forever with the sins of Israel to be forgotten. The other goat was then taken to the Holy of Holies, ritually slaughtered, and offered with incense to Hashem, God, to atone for the sins of Israel, thus giving them a clean slate. To put this into a modern perspective, I am taking my "two goats" and offering them to God as a sacrifice. On one goat, I am attaching all the wrong I have done prior until this Holy Day, and then I am forgetting it knowing God is merciful. Next, I am offering my life as the other goat as atonement for the wrongs that God will forgive me for. I am offering my existence as a sacrifice, only trying to do what is right. From everything in work, to my relationships, to family life I will try to do what is called for me in Torah, the bible. If I do this and do not live in the past wrongs committed by me and others, then I will truly find an abundant life. For the next year I vow in front of the Holy One to try my hardest to abide by Torah, and live a healthy life in all aspects. I pray this comes true for my family, loved ones, and all who can be empowered by these words.
-Kol Elyon Olam

No comments:

Post a Comment