Saturday, August 10, 2013

Culture, Legacy, and Death of Diversity

You know, I went on thinking, and I was wondering what kind of legacy has my generation, the millenials, been left with, and the answer is not very promising. I mean culturally, we have Big Macs, television, I-Pods, and Lil Wayne, not very great things to be proud of. There is no sense of diversity or uniqueness any longer. In this country, we used to have Irish pride, Italian pride, Polish pride etc. Now, all these groups have been lumped along with many other groups into a homogeneous mess, there is no difference between the Irishmen and Italian. At least the Hispanics, gays, and black nationalists have a sense of unique identity. I know that some people may see these groups as extreme and in your face, but I admire that they stand for something, they simply don't want to blend in with everyone else. I struggle myself with finding something to identify with, partially because I have no legacy and partially my rugged individualism, and want to belong to something bigger than myself, something to stand up and be proud to represent. I cannot and will not stand up to represent this hollow corporate shell which is called American culture. They can keep their tattoos, Apple products, and cheap genetically engineered food. I sometimes think I live in a lost generation, and sadly everyday I am proven more and more right. It is time for my peers to wake up and reclaim something of a soul before it is too late, however; we maybe past the point of no return. Perhaps this time we live in which is marked by perhaps the greatest amount of mass conformity, it is no coincidence that culture is dead. In a word, we have sold our soul and might no be able to get it back.
-Kole Elyon

No comments:

Post a Comment