Sunday, August 18, 2013

French Cajun

http://www.acadian-cajun.com/genac5.htm
Under the list of Cajun Surnames is my last name Poirier. I knew my maternal grandmother's surname LaMothe was Cajun but my own surname is Cajun. I did not I have so much French-Cajun blood in me. It is very enlightening to learn about your heritage and your roots. The Cajuns are a very interesting group of people who the famous style of spicy food is named after. They started out as a colony in New France called Acadia where they were expelled from when the English came and conquered. The Acadian people, Cajuns, were forced to migrate down the eastern sea board where many people settled until the most famous group settled in Louisiana. The pocket of Cajuns which I am descended from settled in Rhode Island, which is not far from the original Acadian colony. I am very interested in learning more about my Cajun heritage. I have a friend who first invigorated my interest in the Cajun people after he went to a trip to Louisiana, but little did I know I had a great deal of Cajun blood in my veins.  It will be interesting to learn more over time.
-Kole Elyon

No comments:

Post a Comment