Friday, August 23, 2013

No Style No Substance

I can't but help at my generation and think we have no substance. I mean it seems everyone needs some type of gimmick to stick out whether it be tattoos, piercings, or some type of crazy fashion piece. Take for example Nicki Minaj, she is just a walking gimmick who contributes little to nothing besides that. In other words, without the wigs, fake breasts, and fake ass she would be a nobody. If you take that in contrast with someone like Alicia Keys who is a total class act, then the difference becomes clear. Alicia can just use her pure talent and substance to radiate sexiness and style while holding a crowd. The same can be seen in something like Jay-Z vs. Lil Wayne. Jay-Z has been wearing Polo's in his videos since his early days, while Wayne has the tats, crazy voice, and stupid fashion choices. Jay-Z is all substance while Wayne is all gimmicky crap. Even the people you see walking around on the street fall into these type of contrasts. The person with the outrageous fashion and tattoos all over the place have little in terms of substance, there are exceptions of course but the norm is definitely what I have been talking about. I'll take a button down shirt with a part in my hair at a party and still hold the attention of everyone, so I do not need all the gimmicky crap that other people use to draw attention to themselves. I just wish my generation had a better sense of style like the gangsters of the  20th century had. The Capones and Siegels were true symbols of style. Marylin Monroe was an icon who could still hold her own today, while we have all these nobodies who will be forgotten in 15 minutes.
-Kole Elyon

No comments:

Post a Comment